Tuesday, February 25, 2014

TTM Success: Gosuke Katoh

In the second round of last June's draft, the Yankees drafted 2B Gosuke Katoh. While many were surprised with the pick, many draft experts noted that his stock was really climbing as the draft approached. Many thought he'd go a bit later, but the Yanks clearly liked him and snatched him up, signing him away from his commitment to UCLA. I wish they could've done the same with Gerrit Cole. Sigh.

Post-draft analysis said that he was a speedy slap-hitter, but he ended up hitting six HRs in rookie ball. Not bad for a kid fresh out of school who isn't considered to be a power threat. He tore up the GCL as a whole, hitting .310 in just over 200 PAs, and also leading the league in OPS. It's also a bit rare to see a high schooler drafted as a 2B (most play SS in HS and then transition to 2B as they climb pro ball). In case you haven't noticed, no one will be blocking 2B for the next 7-10 years in the Bronx, so hopefully we'll see Gosuke in pinstripes manning 2B in the next four years or so.

I sent Gosuke this Yankee Stadium card to sign, and he obliged in about two weeks. I wish I had sent a Bowman card of him, but I do like the Yankee Stadium shot more than I like index cards or signature cards, which I have a personal distaste for. Perhaps I'll try him again down the line when I get a card of his.
And if that wasn't awesome enough, Katoh also included a short, personalized note. Very cool. Gosuke, I thank you for the autograph, and I look forward to following your career from afar.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome return! If Gosuke doesn't come to Staten Island I'll have to try him via TTM.

    ReplyDelete