Monday, July 13, 2015

Just a Derby Day reminder...

...that despite who wins tonight's HR Derby, Tino Martinez was the champion in 1997!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, I'm interested to see how the HR Derby and its newest format goes tonight. I don't mind MLB trying to spice it up a little bit. I feel like every couple of years it needs a change to stay exciting. Even if it's not, it's mostly an event for kids, and as long as they are entertained, that's what matters. Baseball has a major youth problem, so anything that keeps kids interested and excited is a win in my book.

That's why I get annoyed when adults take to Twitter/social media to talk about how stale or boring it is or how annoying Chris Berman is. While all things that are usually true, if the kids are liking it, and they think Berman's shtick is great (I know I did as a youngster), then that's a win for baseball and the event. It's the same thing in the NBA. The dunk contest hasn't been good in ages, but the NBA does a great job parading around Drake and making it an event that kids love.

My pick for tonight? Anthony Rizzo. Not sure why, but I just feel like he's going to do well. I like Todd Frazier, but the pressure of being in front of the home crowd might be a bit too much to overcome. Either way, I hope it's an entertaining night.

5 comments:

  1. I liked that they are tinkering with it some. Watching guys take 20 pitches in a row gets old by the time the 2nd rounds starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Carter is not in this year's HR derby. Therefore it is a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. It's easy to forget about the kids. Even as a teacher, who works with kids 75% of the year... I tend to forget that some of the cheesiness is catered towards them... and that it's a GREAT thing.

    My pick... Josh Donaldson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to tonight, as I always have. Most years end up underwhelming, but its still fun to check out the young stars with the spotlight on. I'm picking Prince Fielder, but I'd be happy seeing just about any of them succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris Berman's hair WAS truly offensive tonight. No child should have to see that.

    ReplyDelete